Sunday, July 8, 2012

Vintage Silk Tie Quilt

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because I've been struggling to finish a few projects! Here is one of them: a friend asked me to layer and quilt a quilt top she had purchased at a garage sale. It was one of those quilts made from old ties. It was small, she said. It sounded like I would enjoy the project. It was all triangles, and I thought for a while about the best way to free motion quilt it. Of course there were complications: not enough batting, having to sew the backing together, and all the triangles were hand-sewn! It was a nice experience connecting with someone else's work, but over time the triangles had stretched, and it was difficult to get the quilt top smooth. Plus, the quilt measured 78" x 61"...not small at ALL! Here are the results (the friend has to tack the binding still)!

No comments:

Post a Comment