Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Berries, Bunnies and Bricks in a Cute Little Quilt!

   Some of my favorite fabrics to collect are prints with berries on them. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries....they all shout "buy me" when I pass by! This little quilt is handpieced...something to do while waiting for my daughter at ballet class. The pieces were cut by template...in the traditional old way.
   The concept always made me smile...there would be bunnies looking to get into the berries, but they would always be separated from the objects of their desire by bricks, straw, baskets and fences. This project started my appreciation for "architectural" prints....those that would be a good choice for buildings and cottages in a quilt. It also has some complimentary foliage in a dark green color, an alligator print that I prefer to think of as paving stones, and some flowers that probably are not an accurate portrayal of blueberry flowers, but, so what?

   The entire quilt is about 30" square and based on a 6" block. While most of the blocks are made of 3 pieces, the center, the arc, and the outer curve, some have only 2 pieces, while others have 4. It's really up to you to decide what you would like to do with your patterns.
   To bind the quilt, I used one of the prints in the quilt, but didn't like the binding matching one of the outer blocks, so I added a dark green piping for interest and to act as a separator. What do you think? What fabrics would you use for a cute little quilt? Do you enjoy small hand-piecing projects, too? I'd love to hear and see about any cute little quilts you loved making!

No comments:

Post a Comment